In medieval times, people studied alchemy, the predecessor to modern chemistry, seeking a philosopher’s stone that would turn common metals into valuable gold and silver. Though we now know that this stone doesn’t exist, chemistry still has a few equally impressive tricks up its sleeve! With the “Alchemy” set by MEL Science, you’ll feel like a medieval mirror-maker as you observe how a copper mirror materializes from a solution. Then you’ll study a reaction that has been known to people since ancient times and even occurs in nature. Finally, you’ll perform a fake transmutation process, turning a copper coin “silver,” then “gold”!
Get this set
This set and 70+ others are included in the MEL Science subscription. Subscribe to MEL Science to get a new science set every month.
- obtain a copper mirror from a solution
- grow a metal tree – similar to those that take centuries to grow in natural minerals – in just a few minutes
- make a copper coin “silver,” then “gold”
You will learn:
- the particulars of a copper mirror reaction
- how a metal can transition from ionic form to metallic form and vice versa
- what alchemy is and how it differs from modern chemistry
What's inside the "Alchemy" set?
Recommended by parents
My son and hubby are closer than ever since my husband doesn’t usually get much of a chance to help our son with school work. This helps them both enjoy their love of science together.
Best birthday gift ever! The VR part is totally mind blowing. The app contributes a lot to the fun and learning, but you can still keep it screen free doing just these science subscription boxes.
A great way to incorporate real science into homeschool — as close as having a science lab as you can get at home. Safe and clean to keep parents calm and so much fun learning for the kids!