Chemistry for spies
How can spies write and reveal secret messages? Explore the answers to these questions with the “Chemistry for spies” set by MEL Science! Obtain iron gall ink, use ammonia to reveal a message written with copper sulfate solution, and create paper that can both hide and reveal a secret message!
Get this set
This set and 70+ others are included in the MEL Science subscription. Subscribe to MEL Science to get a new science set every month.
- make inks from iron(II) sulfate and tannin
- reveal a copper sulfate message using ammonia
- make magic paper with the help of potassium iodide solution
You will learn:
- about tannin and its properties
- which combinations of reagents can yield colored compounds
- how to obtain and erase a colored compound
What's inside the "Chemistry for spies" set?
Recommended by parents
My son and hubby are closer than ever since my husband doesn’t usually get much of a chance to help our son with school work. This helps them both enjoy their love of science together.
Best birthday gift ever! The VR part is totally mind blowing. The app contributes a lot to the fun and learning, but you can still keep it screen free doing just these science subscription boxes.
A great way to incorporate real science into homeschool — as close as having a science lab as you can get at home. Safe and clean to keep parents calm and so much fun learning for the kids!