Potassium iodide, solution 2 M
- Molecular formula:
- Chemical compound:
- potassium iodide
- Common name:
KI – potassium iodide – is a colorless crystalline solid. It yellows in air as it reacts with oxygen and free iodine is released. It is prescribed in tablet or pill form to treat a lack of iodine in the body, and occasionally to protect the thyroid gland. It can be added to table salt to prevent iodine deficiency. Likewise, rice, flour, and other food items enriched with potassium iodide have been made available in some countries. Potassium iodide is sometimes used to prepare light-sensitive materials in photography.
- Potassium iodide
- Potassium iodide, solution 20 %
- Potassium iodide, solution 0.05 M
- Potassium iodide, solution 0.1 M
- Potassium iodide, solution 1 M
- Potassium iodide, solution 50 %
- Potassium iodide, solution 5 %
Experiments with similar reagents
- Harmful if swallowed.
- Causes skin irritation.
- Causes serious eye irritation.
- IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses if present and easy to do – continue rinsing.