- Molecular formula:
- Chemical compound:
- calcium nitrate
- Common name:
Ca(NO3)2 – calcium nitrate – is a colorless salt that absorbs moisture from the air. It is also called Norgessalpeter (Norwegian saltpeter). Calcium nitrate is used to aid in refrigeration, as an additive in concrete, and as a component involved in the production of explosives. It is one of the more valuable mineral fertilizers: it contains nitrogen and calcium, important nutrients for plants. Calcium forms the cell wall, while nitrate helps plants absorb other important nutrients in the soil. If used correctly, it doesn't have any negative impact on the human body.
- Calcium nitrate, solution 1.5 M
- Calcium nitrate, solution 2 M
- Calcium nitrate, solution 3 M
- Calcium nitrate, solution 4 M
Experiments with similar reagents
- Harmful if swallowed.
- Causes serious eye damage.
- Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
- IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses if present and easy to do – continue rinsing.