Copper(II) sulfate, solution 0.2 M

Molecular formula:
Chemical compound:
copper(II) sulfate
Common name:

CuSO4 – copper(II) sulfate – is a non-volatile, odorless, white crystalline substance. It usually forms crystals together with 5 molecules of water, forming CuSO4 * 5H2O crystallohydrate. It is widely used in agriculture. Bordeaux mixture is a suspension of CuSO4 and Ca(OH)2 used to prevent the growth of fungus on grapes, melons, and other berries. It is also used as an antiseptic and fungicidal agent to prevent rotting in wood. Copper sulfate can be utilized as a coloring ingredient in glasswork and pottery. Sometimes, blue CuSO4 is added to fireworks to create green sparkles!

Similar reagents


Experiments with similar reagents

Hazard information

Hazard statements

  • Harmful if swallowed.
  • Causes serious eye damage.
  • Very toxic to aquatic life with long-lasting effects.

Precautionary statements

  • Avoid release to the environment.
  • Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product.
  • Wash skin thoroughly after handling.
  • IF SWALLOWED: Call a POISON CENTER/doctor/…/if you feel unwell.
  • Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local regulations.
  • Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
  • IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses if present and easy to do – continue rinsing.