An interactive lab where students assemble their own carbon atom given the number of protons and neutrons.
This lesson is a part of MEL Chemistry VR. Learn more →
carbon, atom, nucleus, proton, neutron, electron, electron orbital, electron configuration diagram, s-orbital, p-orbital
- Construct a carbon atom knowing the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus
- Review electroneutrality and calculate the number of electrons in a carbon atom
- Review electron orbital names, shapes, and order of appearance
- Review electron configuration diagrams
The lab primarily serves as a skill builder for electron configuration. It can be used in a variety of topics throughout the curriculum: periodicity and properties, giant covalent structures, basic concepts in organic chemistry.
Topics to discuss
- Electroneutrality of an atom
- The Aufbau principle, Pauli exclusion, & Hund's rule
- Energy levels
- Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon
- The structure of a carbon atom and its ability to form bonds