- Chemical compound:
- sodium silicate solution
- Common name:
Liquid glass is an aqueous alkaline solution of sodium and/or potassium silicates Na2O(SiO2)n or K2O(SiO2)n. It is available commercially as a thick liquid solution or in solid form. Liquid glass has many applications. It is used in construction to make concrete structures water- and moisture-resistant. Liquid glass impregnation helps prevent flammable materials such as fabrics, wood, and cardboard from catching fire. It is also often used to glue paper and cardboard.
Experiments with similar reagents
- Causes severe skin burns and eye damage.
- May cause respiratory irritation.
- May be corrosive to metals.
- Avoid breathing dust/fume/ gas/mist/vapours/spray.
- Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
- Immediately call a POISON CENTER/doctor.
- IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses if present and easy to do – continue rinsing.