An electron configuration diagram is a useful tool to represent electrons in atoms. In this lesson, we will introduce this diagram and see how it works when electrons are added to the nucleus one by one. Students will also learn Hund's rule.
This lesson is a part of MEL Chemistry VR. Learn more →
atoms, electrons, electron orbitals, electron configuration, atom configuration, electron configuration diagram
- Recall that electrons in atoms occupy electron orbitals
- Learn that there is a convenient way to write down an electron configuration by means of an electron configuration diagram
- Examine a sulfur atom and diagram how electrons appear to occupy orbitals
Topics to discuss
- Rules for electrons: Pauli Exclusion Principle, Aufbau Principle, & Hund's Rule
- Electron configuration diagrams and the periodic table
- How to complete an electron configuration diagram for different atoms?
Please see below for the link to a Google form containing a quiz on the material above.
This can be assigned during class time or as homework. The quizzes are marked and the system shows which questions students get correct and incorrect. Please note that students should record their scores, as they will not be viewable later.