An interactive lab where students assemble their own sodium atom given the atomic mass and number of protons.
This lesson is a part of MEL Chemistry VR. Learn more →
sodium, atom, nucleus, proton, neutron, isotope, electron, electron orbital, electron configuration diagram, s-orbital, p-orbital
- Construct a Sodium-23 atom knowing the number of protons and the mass number of the atom
- Review the mass number and calculate how many neutrons the nucleus has
- Review electroneutrality and calculate how many electrons a sodium atom has
- Review electron orbital names, shapes, and order of appearance
- Review electron configuration diagrams The lab serves primarily as a skill builder for electron configuration. It can be used in a variety of topics throughout the curriculum: periodicity and properties, ion formation.
Topics to discuss
- Atomic structure of sodium and its reactivity
- Ion formation