Pharmacy: Pasteur and the cell factory
Baker's Yeast or Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the most studied eukaryotic organism in biology and pharmacology. In addition to the well-known ability of yeast to convert sugar into ethyl alcohol, yeast is used to create vaccines, vitamins, insulin, and other important proteins.
Get this set
This set and 70+ others are included in the MEL Science subscription. Subscribe to MEL Science to get a new science set every month.
- cultivate some yeast
- isolate yeast DNA
- precipitate DNA using a centrifuge
- carry out an iodoform reaction
You will learn:
- about different forms of vitamin B
- how to use a micropipette
- why Saccharomyces cerevisiae is one of the most-studied model organisms