Copper(II) sulfate, solution 0.2 M
- Molecular formula:
- Chemical compound:
- copper(II) sulfate
- Common name:
CuSO4 – copper(II) sulfate – is a non-volatile, odorless, white crystalline substance. It usually forms crystals together with 5 molecules of water, forming CuSO4 * 5H2O crystallohydrate. It is widely used in agriculture. Bordeaux mixture is a suspension of CuSO4 and Ca(OH)2 used to prevent the growth of fungus on grapes, melons, and other berries. It is also used as an antiseptic and fungicidal agent to prevent rotting in wood. Copper sulfate can be utilized as a coloring ingredient in glasswork and pottery. Sometimes, blue CuSO4 is added to fireworks to create green sparkles!
Experiments with similar reagents
- Harmful if swallowed.
- Causes skin irritation.
- Causes serious eye irritation.
- Very toxic to aquatic life with long-lasting effects.
- Avoid release to the environment.
- Collect spillage.
- Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local/regional/national/international regulation.
- IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses if present and easy to do – continue rinsing.